Thursday, May 5, 2011

Spucin' Up the Pad


Sprucin' Up the Pad
My fiancée and I loved into our one bedroom apartment about 3 years. Moving in with one another was a chance for me to finally have something of my own and for us to test the waters in living together.

About 6 months before I knew we were moving out, I started buying everything. If there was a deal I bought it! I bought all of our dishes from Family Dollar for $0.10 (and they're really nice) a piece and surprisingly they haven't chipped yet. After we had all of our essentials, I started looking for cheap decor pieces to add some life to the dull apartment.
Dining Room
Paint can make all the difference in World! Don't be afraid to go bold or bright! Now that they have paint like Valspar, almost anything can be covered.Can you see my dog, Abby?
Hint for painting: keep a little of the color paint and a white paint to have easy access to any touch up. And always have a wet rag to wipe away any mistakes.
I painted the opposite walls a burnt red and the other wall a light yellow. I based the paint around the painting in the middle of the wall (a gift that I asked for Christmas). I also painted the outlets the opposite color of the wall. The table was also a gift. The center piece (a pillar candle holder) was free using a Kohl's spend $10 and get $10.

The chairs I reupholstered myself. I went to Hancock Fabrics and selected a material that worked really well, and it worked really well. If you don't have a staple gun, ask around to borrow one from a relative (don't forget to give it back!) This is a great especially if you have a cat with claws of children who spill food. They turned really well. It's like I got 4 brand new chairs for around $8.
This picture is a pair that leads into my kitchen (Gordman's 4 dollars a piece). Cat toy: pricesless
I saw something like this very similar at a little boutique but with 3 by 4 inch frames. I couldn't believe it when I turned it over and it was $30! So I decided to make one myself. You can either find pictures online or take them yourself. Make sure they are not copyrighted and that you are not selling them. I nailed three frames from Wal-mart (3 dollars a piece) to a two-by-four (that I spray painted black). Total Cost $11.
This is by far my most valued art deco in the whole apartment! I was so proud of myself when it turned out so great. Piecing pictures and art work together is a very modern way to express yourself. And this wall is totally me! I bought most of the frames, the mirror, and candle holder at Goodwill and a couple frames at Wal-Mart ($23). The pictures I found offline and used Picnik to adjust the sephia. I printed them off using my computer (make sure they're not copyrighted). I like this piece because it represents who I am and my taste in artwork. Can you tell which picture is on it's side?
Hint: Lay out the pictures the way you want them before hanging them up. If you want to include a last name letter (S) try Hobby Lobby, they run from $1-4! Choose pictures that say something about your family. Be careful of copy rights!
I love the plates and the pop of orange!
I love the white, but then I'm terrified of the white!
Buy a whole bouquet of different flowers and put them around the house, in the kitchen, living room, bedroom, and bathroom. Vases can be purchased at goodwill and garage sales for a $1 or less. Try using teapots, empty candle holders, or even glasses.

Inexpensive stores to consider
Garage Sales
DIY

1 comment:

  1. Love the collage of photos and picture frames!

    I began a similar project a while ago, collecting old picture frames from Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete