Tuesday, May 10, 2011

DIY Bridesmaid Earrings

DIY BRIDESMAID OR BRIDAL EARRINGS

One way to save money on your wedding is making your own bridal jewelry or your bridesmaids jewelry. If you plan on making your bridesmaids wear the same jewelry, do not make them pay for it. Instead purchase the jewelry and give it to them as their gift, or make your own and save anywhere from $50-$150!

Now, I've never made jewelry before, but these had to be the easiest things I've made so far for my wedding. Each pair of earrings came out to be about $0.82 (minus the cost of pliers)! This is a great idea if you just want to make your own earrings!

Hint: If you bridesmaids are wearing the neutral color in your wedding palette, give them a pop of color in their shoes, bouquet, and jewelry. If they are wearing the main color (blue, pink, purple), keep jewelry neutral to white, silver, grey, brass, black, etc.

My inspiration
What you will need

Choose the beads that you would like you bridesmaids to wear. I, personally, like pearls! And I just so
Pink (Salmon Pearls) from eBay- $0.99 and $3.90 shipping and handling from China. 115 beads- about 4 cents per bead.
Grey Pearls 8mm from eBay- $2.80 with free shipping from China. 100 beads- about 2 cents a piece. I only bought off eBay because I couldn't find the correct color at Hobby Lobby.
My bridesmaids are wearing grey, but I chose to incorporate both colors.
Jewelry making kit- $5.99 at Hobby Lobby (I had a 40% off coupon= $3.09) This kit comes with crimping beads, French wire with stoppers and loops, jump rings, fasteners, and head pins (sorry if my lingo is off, remember I'm new at this). Each piece about a penny.
Your three tools- round nose pliers, flat nose pliers, and closing pliers. These are a mini version that I bought at Hobby Lobby for $6.99 with 50% off= $3.50.
Small pearl beads- 200 for $2.99 with 50% off= a penny a piece.
Flat, round beads, Hobby Lobby= 10 for $3.99 with 50% off = 19 cents a piece.
Take a French wire and string on the pattern desired.
Using your pliers, bend the top into a half loop.
Line the loop through a head pin. Wrap the French wire tightly around the head pin, securing the French wire in place. Using pliers, cut off the excess and crimp the remaining wire down.
A smaller pattern for a younger bridesmaid, a simpler earring, or junior bridesmaid.
One pair of earrings- about $.82!!!!

A word of advice.
1. Your flower girls should not be wearing the same jewelry as your bridesmaids. If your little flower girls has her ears pierced, consider a small pair of studs and keep it to that.
2. Try not to make your jewelry too gaudy unless dresses are too simple, that's your style, and your bridesmaids agree.
3. Ask your bridesmaids before hand if their ears are pierced and if they are allergic to anything. I was surprised to find out yesterday that one of my bridesmaid cannot wear earrings because of this. I'm glad I asked :)

Have fun, and get your creative on!

1 comment: