Monday, May 9, 2011

DIY Flower Girl Basket

Flower Girls Basket
Like most wedding items, a flower girl basket can get expensive. A typical flower girl basket retails for approximately $15-$45 and can get even more expensive. Instead of buying one, make one! I ended up making mine for about $3.00.

My Inspiration

Items you will need
Bakset
Fabric (satin)
Needle
Thread
Scissors
Accessories (ribbon, pearls, embellishments, other fabrics)
Step 1
I bought this basket from GoodWill for $.99. Take the fabric (I used a white polyester satin from Hobby Lobby $2.99 with 50% off) and guestimate how much you will need.

Step 2
Gather the fabric into the basket to see how much you need.

Step 3
Cut the fabric (rectangle) and pin up the edges for sewing (or hot gluing like I did)
Step 4
I did this project before I knew how to sew. I used hot glue. I folded the edges over the glue and it worked just as good.
Step 5
Gather the fabric and either sew the piece into the basket or hot glue. Make pleats around the basket that are clean and crisp. Make small stitches (about one every 4 inches) to keep the pleats in place.
Step 6
Stitch up on the handles to secure the sides.
I added 3 pearls to mine.
Step 7
Use ribbon or excess material to cover the handle using hot glue. Since it looked a little weird in the bottom, I stitched in a ribbon flower (it is a flower basket)

I left mine plain for right now. I plan on matching these to the ring bearer's suit because I want the pillow and basket to match. Feel free to add bows, pearls, ribbon, flowers, broaches, etc.

What do you think of dog's as ring bearer's and flower girls?

No comments:

Post a Comment